We are the Economic Justice Network of FOCCISA, the Fellowship of Christian Councils in Southern Africa. FOCISSA is an ecumenical organisation working with 12 national councils of churches in southern Africa.
Our vision is to harness the resources of the southern African region for all of its people, with a view to bringing about economic justice through the transforming agency of Christians compelled by the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Our mission is to strengthen the commitment of the church in its advocacy work on economic justice and to act as a catalyst for engaging people in the promotion of just economic and social structures. The Network will establish mechanisms to bring the experience and concerns of the marginalized and the poor people to the agenda of the church and society.
Our specific objectives are:
- to develop and implement effective advocacy strategies and interventions on a selected number of priority issues affecting the region, through joint conferences, seminars and workshops;
- to undertake relevant research on issues of concern which can be used in the advocacy activities of the National Christian Councils, EJN and our partner organisation;
- to facilitate information gathering, dissemination and exchange within EJN and with partner organisations on the key priority areas (debt, trade and food security);
- to encourage economic literacy programmes by the Churches at all levels;
- to liaise with similar networks in southern Africa, greater Africa and globally in order collaborate on issues of collective concern.